Thursday, December 30, 2010

29 ways to Induce Labor

o I have been quite amused (and sometimes annoyed) at everything I hear and read that people swear by works to induce labor. I thought I would make a list and share those things I've heard up to this point. Some of them are just wacky. Enjoy. :-) And, if you have any to add, feel free!

1. Walking
2. Sex
3. Exercise
4. Nipple Stimulation
5. Acupressure
6. Acupuncture
7. Reflexology
8. Castor oil
9. Blue Cohosh
10. Black and Blue Cohosh
11. Primrose oil
12. Raspberry leaf tea
13. Spicy food
14. Pineapple
15. Oregano
16. Walking up and down flights of stairs
17. Walking one foot on and one foot off a curb
18. Squats
19. Jumping jacks
20. Cleaning your house
21. Praying
22. Pep talks to the baby
23. Don't think about it
24. Get in a fender bender
25. Swimming
26. Bouncing on a pilates ball
27. Strip membranes
28. Relax and be patient
29. Bumpy car rides

Other things I've seen/heard:
-When you get a big burst of energy, you'll probably go into labor within the next day!
-When you feel really miserable you're about to have the baby.
-When you feel really great you're about to have the baby.
-You might throw up or have diarrhea and then go into labor the next day.
-If you do acupressure, you'll go into labor in the next 12 hours.
-If you're really stressed out, the baby won't want to come into that atmosphere so he'll stay in longer.
-The baby releases hormones when his lungs are developed and those hormones cause labor to start.

And my top favorite that I have now heard twelve trillion times: "Don't worry. He'll come as soon as he's ready. Just be patient."

Yes, I believe it's true, and I trust you, but I'm the one with the huge bowling ball belly that I'm ready to have disappear! :-) Plus, I'm really terrible at being patient...

p.s. I have tried at least half the things on the list...but to no avail.

** Update: I also remember a friend saying someone said "More women go into labor when there is a big weather event or storm because of the air pressure change." We're supposed to get thunderstorms tomorrow....does that mean I'll go into labor tonight!? ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Very funny. At least you still have a sense of humor. That should make the baby want to come.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all hilarious and it's so true that everyone has a surefire way to induce labor! I'm happy that he hasn't come only for my sake, not for yours! We'll send positive vibes your way!!! Hey! New Year's Day is SATURDAY! Please hold on until then!!!

    ReplyDelete