Monday, April 29, 2013

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I found a recipe online for beer bbq pulled pork, but since we don't drink alcohol, I decided to try it with beef broth. I also added some extra spices and left some out. The end result was perfect. Just what I was looking for! Add in some KC Masterpiece barbecue sauce, and this sandwich took me back to my roots in Kansas City. Not quite Oklahoma Joe's, but the ability to make it at home whenever I want is just as satisfying! Enjoy!

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches

4-5 lb pork butt roast
12 oz. beef broth
1/2 large onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbl. soy sauce
2 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
Barbecue sauce

Trim any desired excess fat off the pork. Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to a pan and heat to medium-high/high. When pan is hot, sear the pork for about 2 minutes on the first side then 2-3 minutes on the second side. Put into a crock pot. Pour the beef broth in the pot and sprinkle the onions over the pork and around the sides. Mix the garlic and remaining seasonings together in a small bowl. Pour over the top of pork. Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours, or until meat is tender and shreds easily.

Remove meat from the crock pot and shred with a fork. Remove some, all, or none of the juices and return to pork back to the crock pot. Stir in 1/2-2 cups barbecue sauce as desired. Spoon onto buns and top with additional barbecue sauce if desired.


**I only added about 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce to the pork and about 1 cup of the juices. I then topped each sandwich with a drizzle of bbq. I don't like the pork soaked in sauce and prefer to add my own on my own sandwich. The flavor of the meat was amazing with just a hint of sauce added. The end results of the recipe are very forgiving and you can add as much or as little juices and bbq sauce as you want, depending on your preference. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment