Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World


I have finally done it.

I have mastered....

Chocolate Chip Cookies



I'm very picky about chocolate chip cookies. Don't get me wrong, I'll always try one. If I like it, I might eat two. If I don't, I won't. I have been in search of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe for many years. Quite often the dough is too sweet, too salty, or not sweet or salty enough. Or the cookies collapse. Or the cookies look that grayish color when they're at the perfect gooey stage. Or the consistency is not right. Or they taste too much like shortening and flour and not enough like perfection. Etc.

But I finally found the perfect combination of sweet, salty, fluffy, soft, gooey, and chocolatey.
These cookies even stay soft overnight, uncovered, on a plate.
For reals.

Here are my secrets:
-Use part butter and part shortening.
Why? The butter adds the savory, salty, yummy flavor I love, the shortening keeps the cookies fluffy and soft, and they don't collapse in that gooey stage.
-Mix 
-Use chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
Why? It adds a bigger assortment of flavors. Every cookie is different, yet every cookie is delicious. The variety of chips adds an element of surprise and sweet flavor. You can stick to just chocolate and be perfectly happy as well.
-Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.
Note: this is in my oven. Which I am still learning how to use. When cooked in my oven at this temp for this time, these cookies have a perfect golden top, gooey inside, and crisp edges. (try 375 degrees if your oven bakes normal or slightly cold)



Now, here is the biggest secret of all: With the butter/shortening combo, you have to be really careful with the butter temperature! It has to be soft enough to beat, but not melting. And, if you leave the dough on the counter too long, it'll get too melty and the dough will get that gray/brown color and the cookies will collapse. (I've tested this out) So, as soon as you whip up a batch REFRIGERATE the dough asap! Or you can freeze it. The cooling process helps the flour absorb the flavors more so the dough becomes even more savory and delicious.





The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World


Cream together for 2-3 minutes, stopping to scrape bowl every minute or so:

1 cup shortening, Crisco brand
1/2 cup (or one stick) butter, slightly softened
1 1/2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. packed brown sugar

If using a stand mixer, keep mixing on medium/low speed while adding:
3 eggs, add them one at a time and mix until completely combined after each egg
1 1/2 teas. vanilla
1 1/2 teas. soda
1 1/2 teas. salt

Turn mixer speed down and add:
3 1/2-4 c. flour
**The dough should be soft yet slightly firm and should not stick to your fingers.

Mix in by hand:
2-3 cups chocolate chips
OR:
1-1.5 cups chocolate chips
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
1/3-1/2 cup butterscotch chips

**It's hard to add too many chips, so feel free to add or subtract as your taste buds prefer. I prefer very chippy chocolate chip cookies.

Transfer the dough into a tupperware container and refrigerate immediately for 1-2 hours before baking for best results. Spoon dough into generous tablespoon size balls and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

1 comment: