Tuesday, December 14, 2010

MY Chicken Noodle Soup


I've been sick and wanting some real good, homemade chicken and dumplings. Unfortunately, that is too much work. So I decided to settle for some chicken noodle soup. However, soup out of the can just doesn't quite work for me...so, I decided to create.

The following recipe is 100% from me. I didn't cheat by looking up what is typically in CNS, and I didn't use any other recipe as guidance. I just imagined in my head and threw stuff in a pot. YUM!!!

1 c. carrots, sliced
1 c. celery, sliced
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 TBL parsley
4 c. chicken broth

Combine in a large pot, simmer covered for at least 15 minutes (or until carrots become tender).

1 chicken breast
1 1/4 c. pasta (measured after cooking)
1 can cream of chicken soup + 1/2 can water
1 1/4 c. boiled chicken/pasta water

Boil 1 chicken breast in enough water to cover it for about 15 minutes, or until juices are clear. Transfer to plate and shred. Cook pasta (I used spaghetti, broken in half) in chicken water about 5 minutes, or until barely soft and a little crispy. Drain into a bowl to reserve water. Dump cooked chicken, pasta, cream of chicken soup, and waters into veggie pot. Add fresh ground pepper to taste. Simmer together about 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender and pasta is soft.

*You can add more chicken if desired.

This totally hit the spot tonight with feeling so icky and sick. I'm quite proud of myself. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Okay Karissa... because you like chicken and dumplings I need to send you my recipe for chicken and dumpling soup. I just made it for dinner yesterday. We all sat down to eat and all my girls said it was their favorite meal and why didn't we eat it more often? I honestly don't know why... it's SUPER easy to make (and obviously YUMMY, or I wouldn't want to share it). I'll email it to you.

    ReplyDelete